Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Do not scale the camera!


There are cases where you shouldn't scale the camera, otherwise you will get artifacts or poor performance.

Case 1:  When you use a mia_env_blur node  to provide with a blurry reflection to a mia material.


This is a highly reflective metal material. I use the mia_envBlur to apply the blurry reflection like the following.

  
And then I scale up the camera by 5 times.


You'll get this pinching point like artifact.
This time, I will scale the camera down by 5 times ( 0.2 ).


Another weird artifact.
So, don't scale up or down your camera when you use mia_envBlur for blurry reflections.
It doesn't matter how much. As soon as you begin changing the scale it will go bad.



Case2:  When you use Optimize for Animations FG mode with View option on.



This time, I use the FG to create this.


I use Optimize for Animation mode with View option on. It gives me a fairly even FG point distribution like below.


So far, so good. But if I scale up the camera, let's say by 10 times.
The FG brightness diminishes by around that much like below.



This has to do with the fact that the View mode uses the camera space to deal with FG points and density. You can compensate the brightness by scaling up the Min/Max pixel value by the same scaling factor that's applied to the camera.

That being said, I'd rather not use a scaled camera.
 

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs and every other content is so entertaining and useful It makes me come back again. Streaming high-definition movies online for free

    ReplyDelete